Wednesday, April 1

NaPoWriMo

npm_poster_2009_550

This month I'm going to try to participate in NaPoWriMo, or National Poetry Writing Month. The website Poets.org is challenging poetry enthusiasts to write one poem a day for the month of April.

Since I know that I won't be able to keep up with writing new material every day, I'm going to at least pledge to post one of my own poems each day, though some of them might be old. I'll try not to repeat anything I've already posted on this blog, though I may slip up.

I'm starting with my most recent poem. Happy National Poetry Month!

Nostos
for James

You told us
that one of the excesses
that can malnourish the mind
is blinding emotion.
Will you think it inappropriate, then,
that I write in this form,
considered to be the ultimate
outpouring of emotion,
to tell you that I miss
every word you said
because their worth has
sparked to pricelessness
in the interim?
The mind should point forward,
a tall ship on the memory sea,
but I have capsized.
Emotion is slower,
but will it not one day
also float me home?

3.9.09
c.l.

No comments: