Saturday, November 26

I Would Live In Your Love

I like poems that are rife with double meanings, poems with impossible rhythm, poems with similes that make me think in new dimensions.

But sometimes... sometimes a poem comes along that is so pure in its simplicity that I fall in love with it almost against my will. I shouldn't like a poem like this--so basic, so one-leveled. But it makes me cry, it's so uncomplicated and wide-eyed and innocently courageous. The poet knows exactly what she is saying.

I Would Live In Your Love
by Sara Teasdale

I would live in your love
as the sea-grasses live in the sea,
Borne up by each wave as it passes,
drawn down by each wave that recedes;

I would empty my soul of the dreams
that have gathered in me,
I would beat with your heart as it beats,
I would follow your soul as it leads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that...is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing. By the way, this site is an awesome idea, I love it. When do we get to read some of your own poetry on here? ;-)

-Kari