Wednesday, November 30

I dare not ask of the moon its light

I dare not ask of the moon its light

I dare not ask of the moon its light,
Or it may shine all the day
And benumb those in its way,
Till the ice-glow turns to common sight.

I dare not ask of the sun its heat,
Or it may burn through the night
And steal from lovers and vagrants the right
To romance the dusk in the street.

I dare not ask of the rain its tears,
Or it may drown every joy,
Flooding and rushing and charging to cloy
Jupiter’s blessings to fears.

I dare not ask of my love his care
Or he may lavish it on me,
Answering only to my plea;
I should rather sink to a sea of despair
Than secure an owed love to me.

11.30.05
crystal l.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your poem this morning, having forgotten to check your poetry page recently. I feel highly unqualified to comment on poetry (feeling somehow that it's a language I don't speak at all well) but I just wanted to tell you that I find your poem beautiful and moving.